FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 28, 2011
Tallahassee, Fla. – Following Enterprise Florida’s announcement that Gray Swoope was named the organization’s next President, Governor Rick Scott congratulated both Swoope and Enterprise Florida.
“Bringing new energy and expertise to Florida’s economic development activities is an ideal task for which Gray Swoope is well suited,” Scott said. “I am excited to have him leading the job creation and economic development mission in Florida.”
Gray Swoope most recently served as executive director of the Mississippi Development Authority, reporting directly to Governor Haley Barbour. During Gray’s tenure at the Mississippi Development Authority he has:
● Helped convince companies such as Toyota, PACCAR, GE Aviation, SeverStahl, and Automated Data Processing to build facilities in the state;
● Refocused the state's efforts to aggressively support industry retention and expansion. Launched the Priority One Program targeting existing businesses resulting in a measurable increase in jobs saved and/or created through expansions;
● Worked with the state’s private sector partner, Momentum Mississippi, and the legislature, to successfully overhaul economic development incentives, thus laying groundwork for significant new investment and expansion opportunities;
● Developed a team that is recognized by site selection consultants and businesses as one of the most responsive state economic development groups nationwide. MDA has successfully partnered with the state's communities and economic development partners across the state to elevate Mississippi's competitive profile;
● Increased the agency's services and programs while purposely decreasing MDA's workforce by 15% and the overall budget by 26% over seven years.
Gray has been in the economic development business for more than 25 years and is well-regarded by the businesses he has helped recruit and by the colleagues with whom he has worked with and competed against. He has both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Mississippi State University and will bring an energy and passion to Florida that will be a tremendous complement to my efforts as governor.
# # #
CONTACT: AMY GRAHAM